This is a classic Croatian dish, and is often served as a side dish served with grilled fish or salted cod. We like it as a quick pasta meal served with salad. A perfect use for leftover bread or crusts to stop them going to waste. Spice it up with some chilli flakes or fresh chilli.
PASTA WITH ANCHOVY BREADCRUMBS
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 80ml / 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 brown (yellow) onion, finely diced
- 250g / 1/2lb of pasta of your choice (we used penne)
- 8 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp of oil from the anchovy jar
- 2 cups of fresh breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs, coarsely grated
- 4 sprigs of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- lemon zest
- fresh red finger chilli (optional) or chilli flakes
- Heat the oil in wide-based frying pan. Add the diced onions and cook on a very low heat for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they turn a deep golden colour. You may need to add a bit more oil if it is sticking.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Strain and set aside.
- After the onion has turned golden, add the anchovies and anchovy oil, and continue to cook until the anchovies ‘melt’.
- Turn the heat up on the frying pan, then add the breadcrumbs to the frying pan, and stir until they become crispy and golden.
- Add the parsley and lemon zest to the breadcrumb mixture, then toss the pasta with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Serve immediately with salad and chilli, if using.
The key to the flavour is slow cooking the onion. Cook it for at least 30 minutes to get a rich flavour.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Get dinner inspiration from the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available for iPhone and iPad here.