This is a fabulous soup that is full of flavour but doesn’t require a stock base. Easy to make, this red lentil and spinach soup is a hearty winter meal.RED LENTIL & SPINACH SOUP
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 80 mins
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick of celery, finely diced
- 2 tsp of coriander ground
- 2 tsp of cumin ground
- 1 potato, peeled & diced
- 1 litre / 4 cups / 1.5 pints of water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves
- 1 pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Soak the red lentils for 2 hours or overnight. Strain and rinse and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook over a medium heat for 10–20 minutes, adding a little water if it begins to stick.
- Add the cumin and coriander and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils to the pot, along with the diced potato and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Using a fork, mash the potato against the side of the pot to thicken the soup. At this point you might need to adjust the consistency by adding a little water if the soup is too thick.
- Add the baby spinach then serve with dried chilli flakes (if desired).
Don’t add the salt to the lentils until they are cooked, otherwise the lentils won’t soften.