Nothing beats a hearty soup in cold months. Our five ingredient pea and ham soup is a meal in itself and can be frozen in portions. Getting a smoked ham hock from the butcher is often best as they are packed with flavour. Enjoy.
PEA AND HAM SOUP
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 2-3 hours plus soaking time
- 1 cup of green split peas
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown (yellow) onion finely diced
- 3 litres / 5 pints of water
- Soak the split peas in water over night or for at least 2 hours.
- Place the ham hock in a large pot and cover with 3 litres of water Bring to the boil, skim any scum for the top. Simmer for 2–3 hours with the lid on.
- After the ham hock has been simmering for 1 1/2 hours, cook the onions in another pot in the oil until translucent.
- Drain and rinse the split peas and add to the onions. Stir to combine and then ladle enough stock from the ham hock pot to cover the split peas.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes or until the split peas are very soft. You may need to add more stock during this cooking time so it doesn’t stick to the pot.
- When cooked, use a stick blender or food processor to purée the split peas.
- Meanwhile continue to cook the ham hock until you can pull the meat away from the bone.
- Remove the ham hock from the stock and allow to cool enough so you can handle it, then discard the skin and bones.
- Chop the ham into small chunks and add back into the puréed split pea soup.
- Use any remaining stock to adjust the consistency of the soup or freeze to add to soup or any braised dish another time.
Ask the butcher to cut the ham hock in half so it fits into the saucepan more easily.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Wanting more great meal ideas? PlanBuyCook has got you covered. Use our app that includes over 130 recipes or add your own, and it automatically generates a sorted shopping list. Dinner done.