Homemade pesto takes minutes to make and is a great go-to meal with pasta for a busy night. Pesto is also tasty served on toast or in sandwiches. You can add a small amount of grated garlic for extra flavour.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 5 mins plus pasta cook time
- 4 cups of basil, picked & washed
- 4 tbsp of grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp of pinenuts
- garlic, grated (optional)
- 3 tbsp / 60ml of olive oil
- 1 tsp / 5ml of lemon juice
- pasta of your choice, cooked
- Using either a food processor or stick blender, blend basil, parmesan and pine nuts. Add the grated garlic if using here as well.
- Gradually add the oil and a dash of lemon juice while continuing to blend.
- If serving with pasta, strain the pasta and mix with the pesto in a separate bowl.
Double the recipe and freeze immediately. If pinenuts are unavailable, soak some bread in milk and squeeze out excess milk and blend in the food processor in step 1.