This pumpkin and sage penne is the perfect use for the other half a pumpkin you have lurking in your refrigerator. Use any cheese you have to hand – feta, goats or ricotta. All work really well with this dish.
PUMPKIN & SAGE PENNE
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 1kg/2lb of pumpkin or butternut
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 eschallot, peeled & finely chopped
- 400g of penne pasta
- 20g/1 tbsp of butter
- 4 leaves of fresh sage, finely sliced
- 120g of feta/goats cheese, or ricotta
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- salt and pepper
- chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 5.
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into small dice about 2cm /1inch chunks.
- Toss eschallot and pumpkin in oil and spread on to a baking tray lined with baking /parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins, or until soft.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta to the packet’s instructions. Set aside until required.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, heat a large pan and add the butter and sage and cook until the sage is fragrant and butter browns. Add in the pasta, pumpkin, baby spinach leaves and cheese of your choice.
- Stir to combine and adjust the seasoning. Serve immediately with optional chilli flakes on the side.