Sausages and mash – a match made in heaven. This is a great Sunday night meal. Add in some greenery such as steamed broccolini to improve the colour on the plate, and dinner is done. Use your favourite sausages or a combination of a few types.
SAUSAGES AND MASH
Prep: 5 minuets
Cook: 30 mins
- 600g / 1¼ lbs of sausages of your choice
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 30g of butter or olive oil
- salt to taste
- salad or vegetables
- Heat a bbq or grill plate to hot or heat the oven to 180ºC if you prefer.
- Cook the sausages on the barbecue or in the oven, turning regularly to brown on all sides. Leave to rest in a medium oven, covered in aluminium foil.
- In the meantime, place the potatoes in cold water and bring to the boil over medium to high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until soft.
- Strain the potatoes, return to the pot over a low heat and allow the excess moisture to evaporate. Turn off the heat then mash with butter (or olive oil) and salt.
- Serve sausages and mash on a plate with your favourite salad or vegetable sides.
If you are unsure whether the sausages are cooked, cut one open to check, and cooking times vary greatly based on the size of the sausages. It is always a good idea to finish any barbecue cooking in the oven to make sure it is cooked through.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Home cooked meals are the best. Make your cooking easier with the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available for iPad and iPhone now.