Once you have tasted this Roast carrot, feta and walnut salad you’ll want to make it over and over again. Substantial enough to be a great lunch, it also works well with almost any meal. Adding some of the dressing to the cooked rice while still hot allows it fully absorb the flavour.
ROAST CARROT, FETA AND WALNUT SALAD
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 4 carrots, peeled and chunky chopped
- 2 tbsp/40ml of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup of brown rice
- 200g/7oz of baby spinach or rocket or mixed leaves
- ½ lemon, tested
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves torn
- 100g/3.5oz marinated feta or goats cheese
- ½ cup of roasted walnuts
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp/20ml of white condiment (white balsamic vinegar)
- 4 tbsp / 80ml of olive oil
- Preheat oven 160ºC/325ºF/Gas mark 3.
- Toss the chopped carrots in olive oil and salt and pepper, and put on a tray lined with baking/parchment paper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool.
- For the dressing, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and salt.
- Cook brown rice to the packets instructions, or add to boiling water and cook for 20 minutes, then drain. Pour half the dressing on the rice so it absorbs while the rice is cooling. Set aside to cool.
- Once rice and carrots are cooled, in a large bowl, combine them with salad leaves, lemon zest, mint, crumbled feta and walnuts.
- Add the remaining dressing mix, combine and transfer to a serving platter.