Wanting to incorporate more vegetarian meals into your meal plan? This is a great place to start. This Mexican-inspired roast sweet potato and quinoa braise is great served with corn on the cob. If you don’t have any quinoa, use brown rice instead.
ROAST SWEET POTATO AND QUINOA BRAISE
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
- 2 sweet potato (about 1kg)
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ green capsicum/green pepper, diced
- ½ tsp of coriander ground
- ½ tsp of cumin ground
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- ½ cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup / 250ml of boiling water
- 1 x 400g/14 oz of tinned/canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4–6 tbsp of greek/plain yoghurt
- 2 cobs of corn
- salt to taste
- 4 sliced of jalapeño chillies (from jar), optional
- Preheat oven to 160ºC /320ºF / Gas mark 3
- Rinse the sweet potato and cut in half long ways.
- Line a baking tray with baking /parchment paper and sprinkle with half (1 tbsp) of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Place the sweet potato on the tray flesh side down and bake for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a saucepan which has a tight-fitting lid, and cook the onions, garlic and ginger over a medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add the green capsicum/pepper, coriander, cumin powder and tomato paste cook on a low heat until fragrant.
- Add quinoa stir to combine and add boiling water return to the boil put a lid on then over a low heat cook for 10 mins.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add the corn bring back to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take the sweet potato out of the oven, then scoop out the flesh in chunks and set aside.
- When quinoa mixture is cooked, allow to stand for 5 minutes then add black beans and sweet potato.
- Stir through and serve with yoghurt and corn cobs.
Brown rice could be used instead of quinoa just need to double the boiling water.