These sausage rolls are a fabulous after school snack or kids party food. You can always add more veggies like grated zucchini if you want to bulk out the vegetable content.
Makes 50 mini sausage rolls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- ½ cup of brown rice
- 500g BBQ sausages or sausage mince
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 cup of panko or wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 tsp salt (iodised)
- 5 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- tomato sauce, to serve
- Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions (bring 4 cups of water and half a cup of rice to the boil. Reduce the heat and boil uncovered for 20–30 minutes). Drain and spread on a tray to cool quickly.
- Remove mince from the casing of the sausages. Discard casing.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan forced.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Put mince, brown onion, carrot, cooked and cooled brown rice, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix to a sticky paste.
- Lay puff pastry sheets on the bench, and cut each sheet in half.
- Place some sausage mix on the long edge of the pastry sheet. Brush the other long edge with lightly beaten egg wash.
- Roll the pastry to encase the mince. Pastry should overlap slightly.
- Brush top and sides of the rolls with egg wash.
- Using a sharp knife, score evenly through the pastry 4 times. Don’t separate them, only cut through the pastry.
- Place the rolls on the baking trays, leaving a gap of about 5 cm between them.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cut through at score marks.
- Serve with lashings of tomato sauce.
If you have any egg allergies in your house, you can use milk (cow or soy) to glaze the pastry instead of egg.