A great inclusion in the lunchbox – savoury scrolls. You can make them with Vegemite or tomato paste for a quick and filling snack. You can freeze them once cooked.
Savoury vegemite scrolls
Makes: 12 scrolls
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt (iodised)
- 100g (½ cup) of greek/natural yoghurt
- 125ml of milk
- 2 tsp of vegemite
- 100g / 3 oz of tasty/cheddar cheese, grated
- milk or olive oil spray for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan forced.
- Place baking paper on a small to medium sized baking tray.
- Place the flour and the salt in a bowl and mix to combine.
- In a small jug, combine the yoghurt and the milk.
- Create a well in the centre and pour in the yoghurt and milk mix.
- Lightly mix the flour and the milk mixture together. It is important not to over mix the dough – you want a loose dough. If it is a bit crumbly don’t worry – the less you work the dough the fluffier it will be when cooked.
- Dust a bench with flour then roll out the dough to a rectangle about 30cm x 20cm.
- Warm the vegemite in the microwave (or small saucepan) for 10 seconds to make it easier to spread.
- Spread the vegemite over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Roll the dough into a log so that the long side is the width of the log.
- Use a knife or pastry scraper to cut into 12 even rounds.
- Place the scrolls so they are close or just touching each other on the baking tray. Brush with milk or spray with olive oil to glaze.
- Put baking tray into the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack or serve immediately.
- You can also freeze them once cooked (if they last that long).
You can use tomato paste if your family isn’t into vegemite. You will need 2 tbsp of tomato paste.