A great inclusion in the lunchbox – savoury scrolls. You can make them with Vegemite or tomato paste for a quick and filling snack. You can freeze them once cooked.
Savoury vegemite scrolls
Makes: 12 scrolls
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt (iodised)
- 100g (½ cup) of greek/natural yoghurt
- 125ml of milk
- 2 tsp of vegemite
- 100g / 3 oz of tasty/cheddar cheese, grated
- milk or olive oil spray for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan forced.
- Place baking paper on a small to medium sized baking tray.
- Place the flour and the salt in a bowl and mix to combine.
- In a small jug, combine the yoghurt and the milk.
- Create a well in the centre and pour in the yoghurt and milk mix.
- Lightly mix the flour and the milk mixture together. It is important not to over mix the dough – you want a loose dough. If it is a bit crumbly don’t worry – the less you work the dough the fluffier it will be when cooked.
- Dust a bench with flour then roll out the dough to a rectangle about 30cm x 20cm.
- Warm the vegemite in the microwave (or small saucepan) for 10 seconds to make it easier to spread.
- Spread the vegemite over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Roll the dough into a log so that the long side is the width of the log.
- Use a knife or pastry scraper to cut into 12 even rounds.
- Place the scrolls so they are close or just touching each other on the baking tray. Brush with milk or spray with olive oil to glaze.
- Put baking tray into the oven and bake for 15–20 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack or serve immediately.
- You can also freeze them once cooked (if they last that long).
You can use tomato paste if your family isn’t into vegemite. You will need 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
Copy and paste this recipe to your PlanBuyCook meal planning app, to automatically add the ingredients to your shopping list. Lunch boxes done.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.