Nothing beats an easy meal like an omelette. Once you have perfected the technique, there are loads of filling options to suit the whole family.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 20ml olive oil or 20g of butter
- salt (iodised)
- fresh herbs such as chives or parsley, finely chopped if you have them
Great filling options include:
- ham, cheese and tomato
- smoked trout with wilted rocket
- cheese, tomato and baby spinach
- mushrooms fried in butter with feta
- Prepare any filling ingredients (e.g. grated cheese, dice ham and tomato, etc.).
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with a fork. Add salt and pepper to the eggs.
- Heat a frypan to a medium heat on the stove. Add olive oil or butter once hot.
- Pour in eggs, and, using a heatproof spatula, move them around the pan quickly.
- When eggs are set on the bottom and still a little runny on the top, place the filling on half of the omelette opposite the handle.
- Fold the side closest to you two-thirds of the way over the top of the filling.
- Gently ‘shuffle’ the omelette to the front of the pan, and then carefully roll the omelette out of the pan onto a plate to fully close it.
- Serve with crusty toast and some fresh herbs if using.
You can make this omelette from two eggs a person (instead of three) if cooking for multiple family members.