Silverbeet is one of those vegetables you spy in the shop and wonder what to make with it. Wonder no longer. This super-tasty risotto is easy to make and a great quick vegetarian meal. The sour cream finishes it off nicely.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 20ml / 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 20 grams / 7oz of butter
- 1 brown/yellow onion, finely diced
- 6 leaves of silverbeet (curly-leaf spinach), washed and stalk removed
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 5 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp of light sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roughly chop the silverbeet/curly-leaf spinach and set aside.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan, then lower the heat and simmer until required.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the silverbeet/curly-leaf spinach and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the saucepan. And mix through the silverbeet/spinach and onion to coat the rice.
- Gradually add a ladleful of hot stock to the rice, stirring continuously until it absorbs. Repeat until all the stock has been added.
- Once the last cup of stock has been added, place a lid on the saucepan and simmer on a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir through the sour cream, adjust the seasoning and serve.
You can substitute the silver beet with english spinach or cavolo nero.
Get other great dinner suggestions using the PlanBuyCook meal planning app and generate a meal plan in minutes. Available for iPhone and iPad here.