This tomato pasta sauce is a great basic recipe, that can also be the base for other Italian sauces such as matriciana and puttanesca. Adding the vegetables in whole gives the sauce a full flavour. Simply remove the vegetables at the end and serve on any pasta of your choice.
TOMATO PASTA SAUCE
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: Up to 2 hours if time permits
- ¼ cup/60ml of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, whole
- 2 sticks (ribs) of celery, halved
- 2 carrots, halved
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 x 400g (2 x 14oz) of tinned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup/250 ml of water
- 2 sprigs of basil
- pasta of your choice
- grated parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the garlic, celery, carrots and onion and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, water and basil.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and basil stalks and spoon over your favourite cooked pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve.
This sauce is freezable, so double and keep half for a super quick meal. Perfect with gnocchi or even store-bought ravioli.