This is my mother in-law’s party special. She shared her famous Danish apple tart recipe with us. This is such a simple dessert but is always a winner. Serve the apple tart for afternoon tea, high tea or dessert. It is so easy, the kids can probably make it themselves for mum.
DANISH APPLE TART
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1 hour
- 250g / 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of self raising flour
- 800g / 28oz of tinned pie apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- cream or ice cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ºC / 350ºF/Gas mark 3.
- Melt the butter and mix in the sugar. Then add the eggs into the mixture.
- Add the flour in gradually and mix.
- Grease or line a 30cm tart tin with removable base.
- Spread half to two-thirds of the mixture onto the base of the tin and ensure the base is covered, and then top with the apples.
- Place teaspoons of the remaining flour mixture on the top of the tart.
- Place in the oven, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven and set aside to cool.
- Mix lemon juice and icing sugar. It should drip off the spoon but
- Drizzle lemon icing over cooled cake and serve with cream or ice-cream.
This apple tart is even nicer the following day when kept in the refrigerator. You can halve this recipe and make a smaller tart. Tinned pie apricots also work well.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for meals your mum will enjoy.
Join the Dinner Done Challenge for all the know how to become a meal planning hero. It is free – get on board!