This is my mother in-law’s party special. She shared her famous Danish apple tart recipe with us. This is such a simple dessert but is always a winner. Serve the apple tart for afternoon tea, high tea or dessert. It is so easy, the kids can probably make it themselves for mum.
DANISH APPLE TART
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1 hour
- 250g / 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups of self raising flour
- 800g / 28oz of tinned pie apples
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup of icing sugar
- cream or ice cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 160ºC / 350ºF/Gas mark 3.
- Melt the butter and mix in the sugar. Then add the eggs into the mixture.
- Add the flour in gradually and mix.
- Grease or line a 30cm tart tin with removable base.
- Spread half to two-thirds of the mixture onto the base of the tin and ensure the base is covered, and then top with the apples.
- Place teaspoons of the remaining flour mixture on the top of the tart.
- Place in the oven, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove tart from oven and set aside to cool.
- Mix lemon juice and icing sugar. It should drip off the spoon.
- Drizzle lemon icing over cooled cake and serve with cream or ice-cream.
This apple tart is even nicer the following day when kept in the refrigerator. You can halve this recipe and make a smaller tart. Tinned pie apricots also work well.