Nothing beats fried rice for a great speedy meal. The brown rice makes this a filling meal, and you can include any vegetables from the drawer or your refrigerator.
VEGETARIAN FRIED RICE
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ brown onion, chopped or 1 spring onion (scallion)
- 1 tsp of ginger, grated
- 40ml of shao hsing (dry sherry)
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 150g / 5 oz of broccoli, cut into mini florets
- ½ green capsicum, finely diced
- 1 cup of corn (tinned or frozen)
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 4 tbsp / 80ml of oyster or soy sauce
- 1 tsp / 5 ml of sesame oil
- Bring a large of pot of water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 20 minutes (or as per packed instructions).
- Remove rice from heat, strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan or wok, and add half the oil. Beat eggs into the pan and scramble with a rubber spatula. Remove eggs from pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan with some paper towel.
- Using the same pan, heat the other half of the oil and cook the onion, and ginger until fragrant. Add a small amount of water to stop it sticking.
- Add the shao hsing (or dry sherry) and the carrot, broccoli and capsicum and cook for a few minutes. Then add the corn, peas, egg and cooked rice. Stir continuously until heated through (1–2 minutes).
- Add the oyster or soy sauce and sesame oil, stir to combine and serve.
TIP: If reheating in the microwave the next day, add a little water because the rice can be a bit dry when reheated.