Nothing beats fried rice for a great speedy meal. The brown rice makes this a filling meal, and you can include any vegetables from the drawer or your refrigerator.
VEGETARIAN FRIED RICE
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 40ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ brown onion, chopped or 1 spring onion (scallion)
- 1 tsp of ginger, grated
- 40ml of shao hsing (dry sherry)
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 150g / 5 oz of broccoli, cut into mini florets
- ½ green capsicum, finely diced
- 1 cup of corn (tinned or frozen)
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 4 tbsp / 80ml of oyster or soy sauce
- 1 tsp / 5 ml of sesame oil
- Bring a large of pot of water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 20 minutes (or as per packed instructions).
- Remove rice from heat, strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan or wok, and add half the oil. Beat eggs into the pan and scramble with a rubber spatula. Remove eggs from pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan with some paper towel.
- Using the same pan, heat the other half of the oil and cook the onion, and ginger until fragrant. Add a small amount of water to stop it sticking.
- Add the shao hsing (or dry sherry) and the carrot, broccoli and capsicum and cook for a few minutes. Then add the corn, peas, egg and cooked rice. Stir continuously until heated through (1–2 minutes).
- Add the oyster or soy sauce and sesame oil, stir to combine and serve.
TIP: If reheating in the microwave the next day, add a little water because the rice can be a bit dry when reheated.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app for more great vegetarian recipes. You can add your own recipes or choose from our great selection.
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.