Wilting spinach and blanching vegetables can extend their life. If you haven’t eaten them, use these simple steps to wilt your spinach or blanch your vegetables which will allow you to freeze and store them until you are ready to eat them.
HOW TO WILT SPINACH
- Heat a dry frying pan then place the washed spinach leaves in the hot pan.
- Turn the leaves as they wilt, using tongs or a fork.
- Strain off excess liquid, allow to cool to room temperature then freeze.
HOW TO BLANCH VEGETABLES
This is a great way to cook green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas, and sugar snap peas etc.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Place vegetables in boiling water and return to the boil. For snow peas or sugar snap peas, remove at this stage and plunge into iced water. Beans, broccoli and cauliflower may require a few more minutes to cook.
- Drain in a colander and place on a flat baking tray to cool. Serve or freeze for later use.
- To freeze, place on a tray then put tray into the freezer. Once frozen, transfer into snaplock bags or containers and store in freezer until required.