Can’t get the family to eat Beef bourbuignon or Beef provençal? Try this slow cooked Indonesian braised beef – it is a real hit in my household in the winter months.
INDONESIAN BRAISED BEEF
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 90 mins
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 800g chuck steak, diced or beef shin diced
- 1 onion, pureed in the food processor
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, grated
- 4 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons / 40ml of rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons / 60ml of kecap manis
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- steamed rice, to serve
- steamed greens
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC / 320ºF / Gas mark 3.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof saucepan, and seal the beef on all sides then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the pureed onion to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Add a little water if it begins to stick.
- Add ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick and grated nutmeg. Continue to stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add salt, vinegar, kecap manis and diced tomatoes, then return the meat to the saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to the boil. Place a piece of baking paper on top of the meat, and a lid and transfer into the oven to cook for 1–1½ hours.
- Serve with steamed rice and Asian greens of your choice.
You can also cook this dish on the stove. Simmer over very low heat on the stove for the same cooking time.