Make your own preserved lemon when they are plentiful in winter as they take a month to preserve. A perfect addition to Moroccan dishes such as tangines.
- 8 lemons
- 200g of coarse salt
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole cloves
- Wash and dry lemons.
- Juice half of the lemons and set juice aside.
- Cut lemons (including already juiced ones) into quarters or eighths, place in a bowl and mix with the salt.
- Press lemons into two [sterilised|sterilized] jars with the skin facing outwards.
- Put the cinnamon stick(s) and cloves into the jars.
- Press the lemons down as much as you can, pour over lemon juice, and add a little more salt into the jars.
- Seal the jars with lids and leave in the pantry for at least a month before you use them.
- After a week you may need to add a bit more salt to keep the lemons covered. They can go mouldy if not covered.