The Japanese rice salad is a great vegetarian lunch or perfect side with a dinner of grilled fish. Serve at room temperature rather than from the refrigerator.
JAPANESE RICE SALAD
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time : 30mins
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce or tamarin
- 2 tbsp of mirin
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 tsp of caster sugar
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or crushed
- 60ml / 3 tbsp of water
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 4 cups of spinach
- ½ nori sheet, crushed
- 1 tbsp of crispy fried shallots
- chilli flakes, to serve
- To make the dressing combine all the ingredients and set aside.
- To cook the rice, bring a large sauce pan of water to the boil add the rice and cook for 20 mins or according to the packet instructions.
- When the rice is cooked, drain in a colander and place in a bowl. Stir though half the dressing – the grains are hot so they will absorb all the flavour of the dressing .
- Allow the rice to cool to room temperature and add the diced celery and spinach, place in a serving bowl and and sprinkle with crushed nori sheets, crispy fried shallots and chilli flakes.
If you can get hold of the brand Forbidden Brown Rice it is a great product for this dish.