Even though my children never get sick of fried rice, I do. But lately I been making Kimchi fried rice. Kimchi is sour and spicy cabbage a fermented product and is great for gut bacteria. There are some great ready-made fresh kimchi products available at Asian grocery stores. This is a great Super Simple meal, ready in less than 20 minutes and as good as any takeaway kimchi fried rice, for a fraction of the cost.
KIMCHI FRIED RICE
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- 600ml / 2¼ cups of water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (optional), plus 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 cup of chopped kimchi (you may want to use less if you want it less spicy)
- 1 tablespoon / 20ml of olive or vegetable oil
- ¼ of an iceburg lettuce, finely sliced
- ½ cup of frozen peas (optional)
- Place the rice and the water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add a tight-fitting lid to the saucepan, reduce the heat to a low simmer, and steam for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat after 12 minutes, and leave the lid on for 5 minutes.
- If using eggs, heat oil in the wok and add in eggs. Stir continuously until scrambled, the remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the wok. Heat the oil in a wok add the rice and kimchi, and stir until heated through.
- Add the fried egg and peas if using, and serve with iceburg lettuce on top.
If your kids are not keen on the kimchi, halve the quantity of kimchi and serve to the adults, and use the remaining rice, egg and peas for traditional fried rice.
Get the PlanBuyCook app and make meal planning a breeze. Available for iPhone and iPad at the App Store.