Looking for a great everyday vegan meal? This dish is a meal in itself at any time of the year, and would also make a good Xmas buffet item if you have guests who are vegan. It’s also gluten-free, an added bonus.
VEGAN PUMPKIN SEED LOAF
Prep time: 40 min
Cook time: 1.5 hours
Serves: 4 as a main, or 8 as a side
- 500g/1lb of pumpkin, chopped into 5cm/2″ square pieces
- 2 tbsp / 40ml of olive oil
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 brown/yellow onion, finely diced
- ¾ cup of vegetable stock, boiling
- 1 cup of white quinoa
- ½ cup / 125ml of almond milk
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup of pepitas
- ½ tsp of salt
- green salad, to serve
- tomato chutney
- Preheat oven to 160oC fan forced/320ºF / Gas mark 3.
- Line the base and sides of a loaf tin (24cm x 14cm) with baking/parchment paper.
- Place the pumpkin on a tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and bake until soft, approximately 40 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the celery and onion over medium heat until translucent. Add the quinoa, the boiling stock and almond milk to a saucepan, bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and stir through the pumpkin, sunflower seeds and pepitas. Add salt and pepper and press into a prepared loaf tin, pressing down until firm, bake in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove from the oven, rest in tin for 10 minutes, turn onto a chopping board and slice, serve with a green salad and tomato chutney.
This loaf tends to be quite crumbly as there is no binding agent. If egg if not an issue for your guests, add one to the mixture at step 5 to help it hold together.
Get the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, available now for iPhone and iPad.