This is one of our easy pantry meals – where all of the ingredients (besides the chilli and parmesan) come from the pantry. Dial up or down the heat with the amount of chilli you use. Substitute the fresh chilli for dried chilli flakes if you don’t have any chillies in the refrigerator or freezer.
Cook: 40 mins
- 20ml / 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ brown (yellow) onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 red chilli finger sized (or a pinch of dried chilli flakes)
- 1 tbsp of capers
- 12 kalamata olives
- 800g / 28oz of tinned (canned) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup of water
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 320g / 1 1/4 lb of pasta of your choice
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan, and cook the onion and garlic until soft but not dark.
- Add tinned tomatoes and water, bring and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the anchovies, chilli, capers, and parsley. Cook on a low heat for 40 minutes.
- Cook the pasta while the sauce is simmering.
- Add the olives and pepper to the sauce when cooked, and then toss drained pasta through the sauce.
- Serve with grated cheese. Also goes well with a leafy green salad.
Remove the anchovies for a vegetarian version of this sauce.