Not all muffins need to be sweet. If you are looking for a great lunchbox filler that also ticks the vegetable box, how about trying these out? A perfect alternative to always offering sweet treats for after school snacks.
Another great savoury muffin combination is potato, rosemary, caramelised onions and feta.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hour
Makes: 18 muffins
- 1 sweet potato, diced (or any leftover roast vegetables:, including zucchini, pumpkin, carrots etc.)
- ½ onion or 1 eschalot, finely diced
- olive oil spray
- 2 cups of self-raising flour
- 2 pinches of salt (iodised)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 30ml of olive oil
- 100g feta, crumbled
- ½ cup of baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C fan forced.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Mix together the vegetables and the onion or eschalot and pile on the baking tray. Spray vegetables with olive oil.
- Bake vegetables for 35–40 minutes.
- Line muffin trays with paper cases (patty pans).
- In the meantime, place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and then add the eggs, milk and oil and fold through lightly.
- Add the roasted vegetables, feta and baby spinach to the flour mix and combine gently.
- Spoon mixture into the paper cases.
- Cook for 15–20 minutes until springy to touch.
- Leave to cool before serving or freezing.
Get more great ideas for meals using the PlanBuyCook meal planning app. Go to www.appstore.com/planbuycook.