We love a comfort meal such as shepherd’s pie when the weather turns a little cooler. Sweet potato gives this a low-carb alternative to traditional white potato, but either are fine to use. A great family favourite that pleases the young and young at heart.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 60 mins
- 2 large sweet potato / yams (about 1kg/2lb)
- 40ml / 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 600g of lamb mince / ground lamb
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp / 20ml of worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 250ml / 1 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 20ml of olive oil, extra
- Preheat oven to 160ºC/330ºF/Gas mark 3.
- Wash the sweet potato (yam) and cut in half lengthwise.
- Line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper, and sprinkle the paper with half the olive oil and some salt. Place the sweet potato/yams cut side down on the tray. Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes or until soft.
- While the potatoes/yam are cooking, heat the remaining oil in a medium/large saucepan. Add the onions, carrot and celery and cook for 10 minutes, taking care not to colour the vegetables. Add a little water if they are sticking to the pan.
- Add the meat and brown, breaking up any clumps. Add the tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, water and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 40 minutes. Add the peas in the last 5 minutes.
- When the sweet potato is ready, remove from the oven and scoop the flesh out of the skin with a spoon. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Assemble either as individual serves in ramekins, or in a larger baking dish. Place the meat mixture at the bottom, and then top with the mash. Sprinkle with the extra olive oil then return to the oven on the grill setting to dry out the sweet potato (about 5 minutes). Keep a watch while grilling to make sure it does not burn.
- Serve immediately.
This is a great meal to assemble the day before and then heat through in the oven when ready to serve. You can also freeze them already assembled, or double the meat mixture and freeze for later and simply cook the sweet potato on the day.