This is an easy recipe to take to friends’ houses in the silly season. These spicy nut clusters are great with pre-dinner drinks. Make three or four days in advance and keep in an airtight container. Our alternative using aquafaba also makes it a great gift/snack for vegan households.
SPICY NUT CLUSTERS
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 70 mins
Makes: 3 cups of clusters
- 1 egg white or 1–2 tablespoons of aquafaba (tinned chick pea water)
- ½ tsp of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of sweet or smoked paprika
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1½ cups of almonds, raw and unsalted
- 1½ cups of cashews, raw and unsalted
- Preheat the oven to 110ªC / 240ºF / Gas mark ½.
- In a large bowl, hand whisk the egg white or aquafaba until frothy, and then add the spices and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the almonds and cashews, and thoroughly coat with the spicy egg/aquafaba mixture.
- Place a piece of baking / parchment paper on a baking tray, then spread the nut mixture over the base, keeping them closely together.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Break into clusters and store in an airtight container until ready to serve or gift.
You can use pretty much any nuts, or even a nut mix, for this recipe.