Having a well-stocked car for long drives is a key to stress-free travel. You can avoid queues and fast food outlets, and generally have a more peaceful time. You’ll only need to stop to stretch your legs and for toilet breaks, and you get to your destination faster. Happy travels.
Many people embark on long car journeys over the holiday period with the kids. Being organised is critical for a smooth trip.
Great car snack ideas:
- trail mix (nut mix)
- muesli bars
- fruit that won’t drip all over the car e.g. bananas, apples, grapes
- sandwiches – salad or spreads
- water – everyone needs their own water bottle to avoid squabbles
- cheese and crackers, or crackers with vegemite or similar
- carrot sticks
- a coffee or tea flask for the adults
- hand wipes
- bag for the rubbish.
What not to take:
- anything with chocolate over summer as it ends up over the car upholstery
- fizzy drinks – they don’t need the extra sugar and can make for more car stops.
The pester power of seeing one fast food outlet after another can really get to you on long journeys. We sometimes do stop at them on long trips, but we try to choose the most filling and nutritious options available.
Keep an ice pack in the cool bag in hotter months with the sandwiches to keep them fresh.
Talking books are one of the best time fillers for long journeys. We have been working our way through the Harry Potter series over a number of years, and the kids never get tired of them.