It can be challenging for the at-home cook to make good quality gluten-free bread based goods. We’ve found this great packet product which we’ve adapted the basic method to make seriously good gluten-free fruit buns. Using this base packet mix allows for less variation than mixing your own flours when you are time poor. So yummy the gluten-free kids next door thought they looked like they had gluten!
GLUTEN-FREE FRUIT BUNS
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1hr 20 mins
Makes: 10 buns
- 1 packet 330g Simply Wize crusty bread mix* (includes yeast sachet)
- 400ml of lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ½ cup of currants
- ½ cup of sultanas
- ½ tsp of orange zest
- extra gluten free flour for dusting the benchtop
- 100g of apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Tip the yeast sachet into a bowl and pour over the 400ml of lukewarm water. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Place the bread mix and the sugar into your electric mixer bowl with a dough hook and add a tablespoon of olive oil and the yeast mix.
- Mix for 1 minute on a low speed, scrape down sides and mix for another 3 minutes on medium to high.
- Add fruit and zest, and mix on medium speed for another minute.
- Scrape down the sides and make sure all the flour is incorporated. The mixture will be quite wet but that is fine.
- Place the bowl in a warm, draught-free place (near a preheating oven) with a tea towel on top. It might be warm enough to just leave on the bench. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Dust the bench top with gluten free flour, tip mixture on to the bench and, using a sharp knife or pastry cutter, cut into 10 equal sized pieces.
- Flour your hands and roll each piece into a ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Place about 2cm apart.
- Cover with a damp tea towel and place in a warm place until they almost double in size (about 30–40 minutes).
- About 10–15 minutes before they have finished rising, preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Place buns in the oven, and put a second baking tray below the buns with 2 ice cubes to create some steam in the oven. Bake buns for 20–25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven. Combine apricot jam and water and heat in the microwave or on the stove for about 20 seconds to make the glaze.
- While buns are still warm, brush the glaze onto the tops of the buns with a pastry brush.
- Serve warm with butter.
Available in Woolworths, IGA supermarkets or online at simplywize.com.au.
For more great gluten-free recipes, check out the PlanBuyCook meal planning app, which includes over 60 gluten-free dinner recipes.
Having food intolerances is challenging. So join our Dinner Done Challenge to make your evening meal a breeze. You get all the tips, hints and tools to get you started, completely FREE.