Are your kids tired of a sandwich every day in their lunch boxes? Do they even eat sandwiches? Here we give you ten ideas for lunchbox fillers and loads of other snack ideas that can sustain them through the day and are easy to pack.
Some kids struggle with managing multiple containers and utensils, so here are some quick ideas that don’t require too many extras. Great things to include are leftovers from previous dinners if you have them. If including meat items, you may wish to add a mini freezer gel pack in a snap lock bag over the hot months to keep the lunchbox cool. The snap lock bag protects the gel pack and stops water from going onto the food.
Top 10 non-sandwich lunchbox ideas
- Sushi or inari pockets with steamed rice and diced cucumber (pictured). Buy the inari pockets in Asian supermarkets.
- Tuna and corn patties
- Felafel – either on their own or in a wrap or pocket bread
- Kibbeh or kofta (or your favourite meatballs)
- Pork buns (store-bought)
- Ravioli or tortellini (veal or vegetable). Cooked and cooled without sauce
- Mountain bread with cream cheese, grated carrot and ham, or hummus, ham and cucumber
- Dolmades (store-bought in a tin)
- Savoury muffins
Snacks to include
- Muesli bars
- Banana bread
- Apple and cinnamon muffins
- Boiled eggs
- Vegetables (carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes. cucumber sticks, leftover roasted veggies like sweet potato or potato)
- Sliced ham or salami
- Dried fruit
- Fresh fruit (apples, grapes, strawberries, pears, mandarins, nashi, melon, etc.)
- Savoury scrolls (either store bought or homemade)
- Cheese cubes (cut from block cheese – so much cheaper than store-bought cheese sticks)
- Savoury biscuits with butter or favourite savoury spread
- Homemade biscuits, cookies, apple cake, carrot cake
- Chick peas, four bean mix, or white beans (drained and rinsed).
Join our Dinner Done Challenge to get your meal planning sorted. It includes a free printable meal planner and shopping list template, recipes, tips and know-how to get you from zero to meal planning hero in just 25 days.
Now you’ve got your lunches sorted, perhaps it is time to get dinner organised. See our PlanBuyCook app that not only has great recipes, also has an easy planner to get your cooking schedule on the right track.